Friday, October 3, 2014

Write and Wander Activity {7}

"Where do you go to school?" A Question that has Haunted Me My Entire Life

Homeschooling has become much more mainstream in today's society. Many parents have opted out of the public and private sector because they have discovered the many benefits that homeschooling has to offer. With the increased amount of individuals who are now homeschooling their children you would think that homeschooling would now be deemed as socially acceptable? Through my personal experience of being homeschooled I have discovered that not only is homeschooling not socially accepted, but it is surrounded by a number of negative social myths and fallacies. Studies have shown that homeschoolers excel socially, scholastically, and in all other areas of their lives proving that these "social myths" are really just that—myths.


Constructive Critiques From Peers:

 Love the topic. So much can be learned coming from the perspective of someone who has gone through the experience of homeschooling. I think expanding on the benefits too will help outweigh all the myths.

I wrote a paper a few years ago about this topic, specifically about the socialization of homeschoolers.  The main issue of this paper is defining what being "socialized is" in terms of your paper.  To some, being socialized means to have intense interactions with other people, and to others it means to understand culture.  I really enjoyed learning about this topic though.


I personally have always thought the homeschoolers were a little different. From the ones I have met in my own life, they have always been a little awkward around other peers. But there have been some that broke out of the stereotype and are really cool people. I wonder what the difference was at their homes?

No comments:

Post a Comment