Friday, October 31, 2014

Reflections on my Research Paper {10}

Research is often associated with tireless mundane work. I never experienced this perception for even a moment while writing my research paper. My topic was not only something I am extremely passionate about but it sparked within me an excitement to share my research with others.

As a homeschooled student I have dealt firsthand with the critical judgments that often accompany the remarks of my friends and family members when I reveal to them my educational background.
Homeschooling is such a broad and controversial topic I found myself overwhelmed with the plethora of information at my fingertips. I first experienced this when we went to the library. Most writers have difficulty finding enough sources, I on the other hand, had the opposite problem—I had so many sources I did not know where to even begin. I discovered that speaking to others about my paper helped me to narrow my topic to the key issues that I felt were the  most important for me to relay to my audience. 

The pacing for this paper made the actual process of writing the paper seem almost effortless. The daunting task of writing an outstanding research paper was made more realistic through the periodic deadlines for different elements of this paper. In my final stages of writing this paper I experienced several technical difficulties. Everything that could go wrong seemed to all happen at once. Despite the struggles (specifically electronic), I did not want this project to end. Researching homeschooling was beyond fascinating to me. The stories I found about all different types of families who have had success with homeschooling and have used it as a benefit rather than a crutch was absolutely incredible. The medical research that validated my views on homeschooling gave me an abundant storage of information to share with others should they inquire about my untraditional background.


This experience taught me the value of research. In today's society it is common to see individuals making accusations without having any factual evidence to support their claims. A good writer works hard to support their claims with fact based evidence that validates their opinions. I honestly believe that research should be applied to all aspects of our lives. Understanding all viewpoints as well as validating what is true and what is not is imperative to our own personal credibility. Research improves our personal logos and if we find that perfect topic (which I did), it can be quite the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment